Recipe: Seafood Risotto
Summary: Chef Nico Chessa shares his Seafood Risotto Recipe. A medley of fresh calamari, sea urchin, sea scallops and shrimp prepared to satisfy the most demanding palate
- 2 lbs calamari cut in to ¼ inch strips
- 3 oz sea urchin
- 12 large sea scallop cut in half
- 12 shrimp tails
- 3 chopped Roma tomatoes
For the Risotto
- 3 oz unsalted butter
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz carnaroli rice
- chopped parsley
- mascarpone cheese
- ½ gal of vegetable stock (chicken stock or clam juice)
- 1 bottle of your favored white wine (chilled)
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottom pan, and then add onions.
- Let cook, stirring continuously at medium flame until they become translucent.
- Add the rice and keep stir at low flame until the rice is nicely toasted and also becomes translucent.
- Heat the stock and keep on simmering while you prepare the risotto.
- Add the stock, 8 liquid ounces at a time (depending on the rice, the process should be repeated as the rice absorbs the liquid 4 to 5 times).
- Cook for about 8 minutes. Add the seafood (reserving the sea urchin for end), add the chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- When the rise reaches an al dente stage, add 4 oz of stock and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add parsley and finish with folding in with mascarpone and the sea urchin, to complete flavor and creaminess.
- Place on a serving dish and drizzle with a good olive oil.
- Pour the chilled white wine for yourself, family and friends and salute and buon appetito!
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 8 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Italian